Are you looking to anger the folks at Google and get blacklisted? Want to reduce the traffic to your Web site by 50% or more? Then just ignore some of these recently updated tips from the Webmaster Guidelines put out by Google.
- Avoid hidden text or hidden links.
- Don't use cloaking or sneaky redirects.
- Don't send automated queries to Google.
- Don't load pages with irrelevant keywords.
- Don't create multiple pages, subdomains, or domains with substantially duplicate content.
- Don't create pages that install viruses, trojans, or other badware.
- Avoid "doorway" pages created just for search engines, or other "cookie cutter" approaches such as affiliate programs with little or no original content.
- If your site participates in an affiliate program, make sure that your site adds value. Provide unique and relevant content that gives users a reason to visit your site first.
Sounds reasonable, right?
If you'd like to learn how to rank well at the search engines (as opposed to just not pissing them off), be sure to check out our upcoming Working Lunch Seminar: Search Engine Optimization – How to Drive Qualified Traffic to Your Site. It's Wednesday, June 13th from noon – 1:30ish at flyte's offices.