NOT GETTING THE DESIRED RESULTS FROM YOUR BLOG? READ ON.
A few weeks back I was interviewed by a local business radio show. They run a Top 5 Tips segment on different subjects and asked me for my top 5 tips on blogging. You can read the highlights below, or listen in: I have a recording of the show complete with some lame graphics down at the bottom of the page.
1. Own your own domain name. You want to use a domain like mycompany.com/blog or mycompanyblog.com instead of mycompany.blogger.com or mycompany.wordpress.com. This way you’re building up trust for your domain, not your hosting company’s, and you’ll keep all the inbound links you build up in case you ever want to move. We did that with our own web marketing blog: flyte blog, and it turned out to be incredibly important when we moved to the WordPress platform.
2. Blog so that the search engines can find you. Every blog post you create, creates another web page. Every web page is another opportunity to rank well for specific search your prospects are doing at Google or Bing. For more on blogging and SEO check out the article Ultimate Blogger’s Guide to Search Engine Optimization.
3. Create keyword rich links back to your main website. Blog about topics related to your products and services and then link the keywords to your web pages. For more detail check out Magnetic SEO: What Electromagnets Can Teach Us About SEO.
4. Engage your audience on and off your blog. Respond to commenters on your blog. Away from your blog, use social media platforms like Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter to engage people and bring them back to your blog.
5. Be patient and persistent. You will not get page one results on day one. Plan to blog 2 – 3 times a week for six months to get results.
While there’s no magic formula to blogging success, by taking these best practices to heart, you can expect better results from your business blogging activities. Blog on!
If you have any questions on how to make the most of your blog, please contact flyte today.
President, flyte new media