Have you ever wanted to find out who’s linking to you?
Carolyn just alerted me to a cool tool to do just that and more called Backlink and Anchor Text Tool. Not the sexiest name I’ve ever heard, but it’s certainly keyword-rich. (Ditto w/the developer’s name: We Build Pages.)
What I like:
- It provides all the incoming links to any URL you give it. (Yours, your competitors’, etc.)
- It provides the anchor text used on those Web pages. In other words, you’ll know if someone linked to your site with the words "world-class company" or "fly-by-night operation." Since search engines pay attention to the words in a link, you want your incoming links to use the keywords you’re targeting.
What I don’t:
- It ain’t quick. You’ll have time to go get yourself a cup of coffee. Or brew yourself a new pot. Or, write an entire blog post.
- I couldn’t find any specifics on how the reports are run. Do they pull from search engines (Google is notoriously for under-reporting backlinks) or use some other method?
Still, this is a great tool for:
- Web site owners
- SEO experts
- People ready to make structural changes to their site.